March 4, 2010

National Academic League

I am the "mentor" for the National Academic League team at my school. We just ended our season and we had so much fun! It was especially great because I got to teach an NAL class first semester so we had a lot of time to prepare for our games. The games are after school for 7 weeks during 2nd semester and we had after school practices too. We've all been really busy with this, but it was so worth it!
Here's a bunch of pictures of my darling team, some pictures are of home games and some are away.
This is my 3rd quarter team: the Presentation quarter.

1st quarter
At Mueller Park Junior High.

3rd Quarter again.
4th Quarter
This was our FIRST win! We were so freaking excited!

We got to have 2 really fun parties this week to celebrate our wins and all the hard work the kids put into the season.
One of the kids' grandma's threw us a party on Monday. The kids had to answer a riddle and once they did, they could come and make an ice cream sundae.

Enjoying the ice cream and watching the other kids try to earn theirs.



Then, just yesterday I put together a game versus some of the willing teachers at my school. It was so stressful for me, but it was RIDICULOUSLY fun!



My team


Teachers, again


My team getting ready for 2nd quarter (the team problem solving quarter)

My kids again, 4th quarter (aka the fast and furious round)




My Awesome NAL team won the teachers by 1 point! It was great!!
After we won the teachers, we had a pizza party. These kids are so freaking awesome, I can't even get over it!
PS I guess I should explain a little of what NAL is (since I know no one has any clue!). NAL is basically like Quiz Bowl, Mathletes, or Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader. There are 4 different quarters and the kids are asked completely random questions from about 20 different subjects. The levels of questions go from 6th grade to 12th grade and some of them are REALLY hard. It's kind of hard to explain, but basically, it's smart kids competing against other smart kids from different schools :)

No comments: