September 9, 2012

Coming Home

Yesterday, Barrett and I took a flight home to Utah.  It was our first flight by ourselves and it was surprisingly awesome (only a couple mishaps, which I'll get to shortly).
 
Here's me and Barrett.  I should have had Neil take a picture of me and my baby Bear when we were all ready to go through security. Next time...
 

Saying goodbye to Daddy.

First I'll tell you why the flight was fantastic and then I'll get to the things I could've done without.
At DFW, you go through security only with your own area.  Like, since our gate was E-13, only people who were leaving out of E gates went through our same security.  This was great because I wasn't rushed or stressed.
Then, we got upgraded to the Economy Comfort seats and were on the very front row (right behind 1st class) so we had TONS of room.  It was great!
Bear sat and played on the floor for a while and had a blast.

Then I sat on the floor for a while and Bear had a blast in my seat.

We were sitting by the greatest people too.  The lady next to me was really nice but she was sleeping most the time, but the couple across the aisle played with Barrett the entire time.  They were so sweet with him and even held him while I put on the baby bjorn.  Super helpful.
Plus, my beautiful boy is just so freaking happy and sweet that even when he misses 2 naps, he's just plain wonderful.  How did I get so lucky!?

On to the mishaps... The first one is kind of long but it's funny- you should read it anyways!
Like I said, I wish I would've had Neil take a picture of what we looked like going through security.  I wore the baby bjorn instead of bringing the stroller and I had 2 massive carry ons.  All these things were ridiculously heavy - Barrett is like 20 lbs or so now and honestly my bags were just as heavy, so I got uncomfortable quick!  Anyways, on the way to the airport, I was telling Neil that I literally was not going to be able to go to the bathroom since I had no one to watch Barrett while I went.  I purposely dehydrated myself to help avoid this problem.  When we had a few minutes before we were boarding, I figured since the airport bathrooms were obviously bigger than the plane bathrooms, I should at least try to go while I had a better chance of figuring something out (and more space).  So I head to the handicap stall, hang up my bags, leave Barrett on me and pull my pants down.  Just as I'm about to sit, the door swings all the way open- keep in mind that since I went in the nice big handicap stall, I wasn't even close to the door AND it swung away from me!  So, I hurry and stand up, pants literally around my ankles, still wearing my baby, and start waddling forward trying to catch the door.  Meanwhile a lady walks RIGHT past me, looks at me and instead of swinging the door my direction, just keeps walking- Thanks lady!  Eventually, I got the door, shut it again, tried to make sure it was locked nice and tight and went to the bathroom even though I didn't really need to (remember, I dehydrated myself).
The other minor mishap happened as soon as we were about to take off.  Barrett pooped.  Not a big deal as he does this all the time, but it was almost an hour before I was able to get to the miserably tiny bathroom and change his bum.  It was a smelly hour and his poor bum got red :(  Then probably 10 minutes after I changed his diaper, he pooped again. We had to use that tiny, disgusting shelf thing twice.  YUCK! 
Nevermind the mishaps, it was a great flight.  And honestly, the bathroom door thing only made the trip more memorable :)

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

It looks like Texas is treating you well! I am glad that the trip home went smoothly.

Anonymous said...

Tears of laughter McCall - tears!! I think I would have collapsed laughing if I had been that woman who walked past you in the stall, baby strapped on and pants around ankles!! ahahahaha.

xo Georgy ;)

Netti said...

You are so brave to fly alone with the little man! And that story absolutely cracked me up, I love it and relate (well, minus having a baby strapped on, ha).