May 31, 2011

If It's An Emergency

Last week was a pretty crazy one. On Tuesday, Shelley started having really bad pain and cramping in her abdomen that kept getting worse and worse. She threw up 8 times in 3 hours just because the pain was so intense. Finally, at 3 in the morning, she called my mom to take her to the emergency room. The did some tests and ultrasounds and realized that her complete hysterectomy that was originally scheduled for mid-June, then got moved up to Friday, needed to be done right away.
The reason she was going to be having the surgery in the first place was because a couple of her doctors had recently discovered that she had several tumors in and around her uterus and ovaries.
Luckily, they were able to keep her on pain meds throughout the night and the next day until they could finally get an operating room on Wednesday afternoon.
Bitner had to cut her all the way across her abdomen because he knew the tumors were going to be so big and nasty. He also found out what was causing her to be in such pain the night before, one of her ovaries had been eaten through from endometriosis and so it was bleeding into her abdomen.
The surgery went well and Shelley is doing pretty well too.
This is the day of surgery, she was totally drugged and out of it that whole day, which was good for her.
Dad was pretty out of it too...

By Friday, she was looking and feeling much better, although they were still only letting her have clear liquids! I think she might starve to death (I know I would!).

On Saturday, they let her go home- well, home to my parents house anyways. Sean and the kids flew to Denver to hang out with his family while Shelley gets babysat by my mom and dad.


We're so lucky to have so much of our family right here to help. My mom was with Shelley at the hospital from 3 am until 10:30 pm the next night. The day of the surgery, my aunt Connie and my grandma Colleen took Shelley's kids to Boondocks ALL DAY! Then I slept at Shelley and Sean's that night so Sean could stay with Shelley at the hospital. And the rest of our family has been there to take kids or visit Shelley or do whatever needed to be done! I don't know how any of us would've been able to do it without everyone's help!!

5 comments:

Jinii said...

I am so glad she is doing better. The kids were so good at Boondocks! 10 kids at Boondocks under the age of 6 is a mad house. I have to say that all the adults were exhausted by the end and the kids could have gone all night too!

John and Stef said...

She's looking great! And she's lucky to have all of you to help out! Thanks for posting this. :)

Liddle said...

This is TERRIBLE! I wish I could be there to help out. Please tell Shelley I send my love and tell her to get better!

Anonymous said...

Whoa! Send your sister my love!!

xo Georgy

Netti said...

This is so sad!!! Hope she is healing a-ok!! She really is so lucky to have such a great family to help her out!