Here's a list of some of the things that have made me crazy in the first week of living here. Actually they all stem off of 1 main point:
EVERYONE WALKS EVERYWHERE HERE.
- Since we’re in Canada, they obviously don’t have the Americans with Disabilities Act here. They don’t have anything that even resembles it! Stores, malls, restaurants, sidewalks, etc. don’t HAVE to be handicap accessible. I think that’s horrible anyways, but it makes it very difficult for me and my stroller to get places too! There are literally places I cannot go if I have Bear in his stroller. It makes me want to scream.
- Plus I’ve actually seen a lot of handicap people struggling with this too around town and it makes me really sad.
- Going to a tiny market with a tiny selection is annoying. Trying to carry anything you bought at the store all the way home is a huge pain! Trying to stock a new house with enough food will take about 20-30 trips to and from the tiny market. I just want to drive to the store, find what I need and fill up my cart, then put it in my car and drive home!
- That’s another thing, we’ve had a really hard time finding certain things for different recipes. For instance, we can’t find enchilada sauce ANYWHERE!!
- There's no where to park! So I guess I could drive somewhere but then I don't have anywhere to park the car, so that doesn't actually help...
- Everyone smokes here so as you’re walking everywhere, you are constantly breathing smoke and taxi exhaust.
- It’s super diverse here (supposedly Toronto is the most diverse city in the world). So if I ever get lost or have a question, I can’t ask anyone because I can’t understand anything they say! Most people do speak English here but it’s their 2nd or 3rd language and it’s really hard to understand!
- It’s really cold! It wasn't bad at all the first few days we were here, but it definitely is now! Even with my cute new coat and Canada mittens, it’s still cold! Bear is always bundled up enough that he seems to stay warm, but then if we go inside he sweats to death! We just can’t win.
- I’m a huge scaredy cat so I don’t like walking around alone. I’m always paranoid that people are following us and stuff like that!
Today's the first day that I've been home without my mom or Neil being here with us, so we'll see how it goes!! Actually, things are starting to get a little better now and I am settling in more. The best part was we found 2 BIG grocery stores (including Costco!) that I can drive to and park in a real parking lot, so I've been pretty happy about that! Hopefully I'll make a few friends and we can get out and do some things to get me and Barrett out of the house!
2 comments:
I totally know what you mean when you don't like walking around alone. I think people are always following me too ;) I hope it gets better!
I totally know how you feel! That is exactly what it was like when we lived in Europe. It will get a little better just because you will get use to it. We ate out a ton because of the whole shopping at a little market thing. But in the end you will be so glad that you went and got to experience all of it. Enjoy it!
Post a Comment