April 3, 2014

Potty Training Update

1 week + 1 day after beginning our potty training, Barrett has been a total champ!!
He's had only a few small accidents since we started (knock on wood so I don't jinx it!)
The hard part hasn't been him going to the bathroom or cleaning up messes (since there's hardly been any), it's been that his sleep schedule has gotten messed up since he started using the potty.
His naps aren't as good because he spends the first 30 minutes saying he has to go pee, so I'm getting him out of his crib 10 times.  Often his naps have been shorter too- which is the opposite of what we need right now.
And at night it's the same thing when he's trying to go to sleep and then he wakes up in the middle of the night to pee as well.  The first few nights were super rough because he'd wake up once or twice and stay awake for 1-2 hours!
Also, he wants me or Neil to sit on the bed in his room when he's trying to go to sleep now and won't fall asleep unless we're there.
This is all a HUGE change since I usually just put him in bed and see him in the morning (or after his 3-4 hour nap).  I don't know what I could do differently to help him adjust.
Honestly, if I could go back and NOT potty train him yet, I think I would.  I'd much prefer sleep and sanity to changing diapers.
This is after I got him up from his nap the other day- he was still so tired.  Neither of us are getting enough sleep these days.
I think it is slowly starting to get better (again, knock on wood!) and I'm hoping that everything will just continue to get back to normal as time goes by! Wish us luck!!

No comments: